Sunday 25 October 2020

CORONAVIRUS IN LAGOS, NIGERIA

 As I stated earlier in the blog I am Nigerian and I came to the University of Kentucky to get my degree. Therefore, my family still lives in Nigeria. At first I didn't plan to document the coronavirus situation back at home since I didn't directly experience it but I decided to still document it not only because my Geo professor told me to but also because it affected me in at least one way. During the first months of the first covid cases in the US and all over the world in like February, countries in Africa were yet to see their first cases. Countries in Africa started taking measures to avoid an outbreak because compared to countries like America they didn't have enough resources like a ventilator for infected patients. The first case was reported in Nigeria in like the second week of March. Schools in Nigeria work on a quarter system where in each year they have three terms. The pandemic took place when students were towards the end of the second term so when first cases were reported, schools rushed their examinations and went home. The problem with that is there are public and private schools. Public schools back at home are for people that lack funds to attend a private school and the education system is mostly privatized. The major problem was that most children and students in school didn't have the resources for online learning like access to internet and a working laptop or computer so many people did not have access to education.

Secondly in Nigeria, most jobs work with monthly salaries and not hourly pay like the US. When the pandemic started and businesses were forced closed down, people were forced to stay at home. The main problem was that companies were not ready to keep on paying people their salaries while they were not doing any work so many people were laid off. These people were breadwinners for their family which meant that their families were financially unable to afford their normal lifestyle.


No comments:

Post a Comment

EATING AMIDST THE CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC AND MY LIFE GENERALLY DURING THE PANDEMIC

My name is Oluomachukwu Anaenugwu and I am a black girl originally from Nigeria. I am 18 years old and currently a sophomore studying public...